Purpose of the position
The Southeast Asia Disaster Law Advisor will provide high quality technical advice on disaster law issues in the Southeast Asia sub-region and support for engagement initiatives and advocacy with relevant sub-regional organizations.
The incumbent will also work with the relevant IFRC teams to ensure that the auxiliary role of National Societies is well utilized and understood, as well as to promote National Societies as a partner of choice in relevant national development processes. development of laws and policies. The individual will be expected to work with relevant IFRC technical teams to strategize and monitor approaches, messaging and profiling in this area.
The main areas of programming and support are summarized below:
- Support National Societies to strengthen their auxiliary role and improve their capacity to undertake legislative advocacy
- Influencing and supporting the implementation of national laws and policies that reduce human vulnerability to disasters, climate change and other emergencies and improving humanitarian assistance, through expert technical advice.
- Strengthen partnerships with sub-regional organizations and academic forums and key partners on legislative advocacy in Southeast Asia
- Produce high-quality research that informs IFRC legislative advocacy
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Major Activities and Outputs of the Southeast Disaster Law Advisor
- Oversee and implement relevant disaster law/auxiliary role/legislative advocacy components of the IFRC Plan and Budget 2021-2025 and the Global Strategy for Disaster Law in Southeast Asia, in coordination with Asia-Pacific Disaster Law Coordinator and other relevant teams.
- Provide quality technical advice on areas of disaster law, including the auxiliary role and legal basis of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, and other key legislative advocacy issues to National Societies, governments and other key partners in Southeast Asia.
- Support and advice on humanitarian access issues and government engagement opportunities for National Societies and the wider IFRC network in South East Asia, including promotion and advocacy of the pre- disaster
- Design and implement capacity building initiatives on disaster law, the auxiliary role and legislative advocacy in Southeast Asia
- Design and oversee relevant research projects to support evidence-based advocacy and communications in Southeast Asia
- Support technical legal drafting of relevant provisions of disaster law and other key sectoral areas as required in South East Asia
- Support for disaster law and the IFRC’s broader advocacy strategy and engagement with relevant sub-regional organizations
- Support reporting and communications relevant to disaster law initiatives in Southeast Asia and coordinate with the IFRC’s expanded regional disaster law team on regional plans and initiatives.
- Degree in law, public policy, diplomacy or relevant field (required)
- Diploma/or advanced training in Disaster Risk Management (preferred)
- 15+ years of experience with 10+ years working in area of expertise (required)
- Experience working with government and legislative, political or parliamentary processes (mandatory)
- Demonstrated experience in the international humanitarian and/or development sector (mandatory)
- Demonstrated experience in advocacy and influencing efforts with decision makers (mandatory)
- Demonstrated experience in researching, writing and writing reports in English (sample to be provided) (required)
- Experience in developing related legislation and/or regulations (mandatory)
- Experience networking and communicating with different stakeholders such as government, Red Cross/Red Crescent, UN, NGOs and other organizations (mandatory)
Knowledge, skills and language
- Good knowledge, understanding of government and parliamentary processes (mandatory)
- Good knowledge of disaster law concepts (mandatory)
- Good knowledge and understanding of the international humanitarian system (preferred)
- Excellent representational and diplomatic skills (mandatory)
- Good computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (mandatory)
- Fluent spoken and written English (mandatory)
- Good command of a regional Southeast Asian language (preferred)
Skills and values
- Great attention to detail
- Respect of deadlines
- Demonstrated accountability for results
- Accept responsibility/share credit
- Respect diversity and cultural differences
- Ability and willingness to cooperate in cross-sector environments
- Communicates clearly, effectively and confidently
How to register
In order for us to ensure a proper comparative assessment of your application for this position and to enable us to review your profile against other current and future similar positions, we ask applicants to submit their application together with a cover letter. at the latest July 29, 2022.
- Please note that the selected candidate will be hired under a national contract under Indonesian labor law.
- The incumbent is responsible for complying with Federation policies, procedures, plans and applicable laws
- The closing date is midnight Geneva time. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered;
- Only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be notified.
The position will be based in Jakarta. Thus, Indonesian and foreign applicants with valid and current residence and work permits in Indonesia are encouraged to apply.
How to register
Please submit your application letter along with a cover letter to: IFRC JOBS Online or click on Disaster Law Advisor