DVIDS – News – Bringing Hope to Tradewinds 2022: DoD and NFE Planning Ensures Western Hemisphere Prosperity

In a sea of ​​about 1,500 uniformed service members, civilians and contractors, one family wearing polo t-shirts with the name of a nonprofit organization stands out. While the polo shirts serve to differentiate non-profit representatives from the staff of the Tradewinds 22 exercise, when it comes to the exercise itself, World Hope International is fully integrated, even from the planning stage.

Mr. Kevin J. Bostick, SES and Director of US Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) Exercises and J7/9 Coalition Affairs, played a pivotal role in ensuring that Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)/Non-Federal Entities (ENF) were involved in all aspects of Exercise Tradewinds 22 to include planning.

Mr. Bostick’s management, J7/9, houses the Public-Private Cooperation Department, which is the coordinating body for the integration of ENFs.

“The NFE’s involvement not only in the Tradewinds exercise but also in the planning phase is significant,” Bostick said. “You need a village. It’s not just a uniform. It’s teamwork – MoD, civilians, contractors, NFE – a lot of what we do is hands on deck.

Bostick has known the limitations, due to laws and statutes, of what the US Department of Defense (DoD) can implement in other countries during a humanitarian/disaster response mission and ensured that it is planned to take these constraints into account.

“If we [DoD] can only be responsible for 65% of the mission, due to laws and statutes, we can call on our NFE partners who can bring us to the remaining 35% to provide the necessary support and relief. »

Tradewinds 22 saw the benefit of integrating NFEs into the planning and exercise prior to the start of the opening ceremony.

Carla Alvarado, D7/9 public-private coordinator, is looking for NGOs/NFEs interested in the trade winds and integrating them into all aspects of the exercise. Alvarado coordinated the participation of World Hope International, an international relief and development organization that focuses on providing humanitarian aid during disasters or conflicts.

Alvarado was the point of contact for John Lyon, president and CEO of World Hope International.

“We coordinated just about everything with Carla,” Lyon said.

World Hope International’s main participation in Tradewinds 22 is within the framework of humanitarian disaster assistance in Cozumel, Mexico, and supports the regional security system (RSS), the aid and assistance pact Mutual of Eastern Caribbean Nations.

World Hope International chartered a plane that transported 110 Barbados RSS forces and donated $2 million worth of medical supplies to the Barbados Defense Force Field Hospital and Queen Elizabeth Hospital in the Barbados.

“It fulfills our philanthropic mission because these guys are trained in humanitarian aid and disaster response,” Lyon said. “When we got the call that an RSS support needed help getting to Belize, I said, ‘Okay, let’s charter a plane. It’s a good partnership between SOUTHCOM and an NGO.

The chartered aircraft will fly the RSS back to their home stations and donate additional medical supplies to the Belize Ministry of Health near the end of the Tradewinds 22 exercise.

Bostick included World Hope International in the exercise planning, and World Hope International resources enabled seven of the 23 participating partner nations, or nearly a third, to participate in the Tradewinds 22 exercise.

Tradewinds 22 emphasizes that regional and inter-agency partnerships reflect our enduring promise to one another for a safe, free and prosperous hemisphere. The coordination of DoD and ENF, from exercise planning to execution, perfectly embodies the spirit and enables the realization of the promise of a safe, free, and prosperous hemisphere.

Tradewinds is a combined, joint, Caribbean-focused exercise endorsed by the Joint Chiefs of Staff and sponsored by U.S. Southern Command, designed to expand the region’s ability to mitigate, plan for, and respond to crises; strengthen partnerships; increase regional training capacity and interoperability; develop new standard operating procedures (SOPs) and refine existing procedures at the SOP development conference; determine the SOPs to be exercised; determine the regional SOP validation process; build capacity to defend Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs); increase US/ally/partner readiness; promote human rights and respect for shared international norms and values; fully integrating women into the force; and increase maritime domain awareness to deter IUU fishing activities.







Date taken: 05.08.2022
Date posted: 05.09.2022 18:32
Story ID: 420300
Location: LADYVILLE, BZ





Web views: 24
Downloads: 0

PUBLIC DOMAIN

About admin

Check Also

Communities affected by floods and power outages

Western Alaska was reeling on Monday from the most intense storm on record in the …