FEMA asks tornado survivors to notify agency of insurance settlements | News

The agency is asking survivors of the Dec. 10 tornado who applied for FEMA disaster assistance to notify them of any insurance settlements received.

According to FEMA, the FEMA Individual Assistance Program may cover damages that your insurance does not cover. To receive disaster relief, you must have filed an application with FEMA by the March 14 deadline.

To notify FEMA of insurance settlements you have received, log into your account at DisasterAssistance.gov or call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362.

By law, FEMA cannot provide financing to individuals or households for losses covered by insurance or another source. However, those who have filed an insurance claim and still have disaster-related needs can use FEMA to request its Other Needs Assistance Program or be referred to another assistance provider.

FEMA also recommends survivors keep paperwork and receipts for any work you did to repair your home.

Some additional FEMA insurance-related recalls include:

  • If your insurance settlement is delayed for more than 30 days, let FEMA know by writing a letter and including proof that you have filed a claim. Any assistance provided by FEMA would be considered an advance and should be repaid once you get the insurance settlement.
  • If you have received the maximum settlement from your insurance company and you still have unmet needs related to the disaster, write to FEMA and explain what your need is. Again, include documentation from the insurance company.
  • If you have spent the “additional living expenses” provided by the insurance company and still need help finding temporary housing, write FEMA and explain your need. Attach documentation from the insurance company to prove that you used the funds provided. Also include your permanent housing plan.

About admin

Check Also

Communities affected by floods and power outages

Western Alaska was reeling on Monday from the most intense storm on record in the …