Insured or not, FEMA says to register for Hurricane Ian recovery aid

Whether you have home or renter’s insurance, are a small business owner, or have no insurance, if you are a Florida resident in need of Hurricane Ian recovery assistance, FEMA spokesman Ken Higginbotham said registration was required.

“The very first step is to sign up,” Higginbotham said. “Enter the system. They get a registration number, and it’s like that key that can open the door to many programs for disaster survivors.

One of these programs is Assistance with transitional accommodationwhere FEMA directly pays hotel costs at participating hotels and motels in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia that provide emergency shelter to survivors.

For those with insurance, Higginbotham says FEMA cannot help with losses already covered by primary insurance, but FEMA can help fill in any gaps left uncovered.

If you receive a rejection letter after registration, Higginbotham notes that applicants should appeal the application instead of reapplying.

Apply onlineor locate a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center for in-person assistance.

A center is opened in Lee County at the Lakes Regional Library. Two more centers will open in Fort Myers and North Port in the coming weeks.

WGCU is your trusted source for Southwest Florida news and information. We are a non-profit public service and your support is more essential than ever. Keep public media strong and donate now. Thanks.

About admin

Check Also

Community of Hughes Springs offers tornado recovery assistance

HUGHES SPRINGS, Texas (KETK) – East Texans in Hughes Springs are still feeling the impact …